So, take a tip from your friends at R29 and make this spring season count. Be ruthless when cleansing that closet in preparation for sourcing only the very best essentials you’ll need to have your very own revival — from statement sunglasses and floral trousers to tunic dresses and denim motos, it’s all right here. So, get ready ladies…this spring could be the ONE.
1. The Spring Loafer — If you don’t already have a great, comfy loafer in your arsenal, then this is the season to snap one up. Unlike the basic breed of black or brown leather, we’re drawn to spring’s icy-cool pale colors, not unlike a good ice-cream cone. With long dresses, short suits, or cropped pencil pants, this is the practical shoe of the season.
2. The Printed Gaucho — Ahh, we see you rolling your eyes! But bear with us…the season’s printed gaucho is actually incredibly flattering despite its ’70s middle-school rap! For spring, this pant-skirt hybrid is an easy piece to throw on for work or weekends, and with a flat sandal or chunky platform, this is a modern bottom any woman can wear…really! Tip: Never, ever, ever wear a gaucho with a skinny/stiletto heel…trust us on this one.
3. The Oversized Vest — We are huge fans of easy pieces that pack a punch, and spring’s oversized vest is the ideal example. Layer it over your denim jacket, a slouchy sweater, or swap it in for a blazer for a work meeting — it’s that perfect.
4. The Big, Plastic Necklace — We can thank Marni for our ongoing love affair with playschool-style, chunky, plastic necklaces. This season, they’re even more on point, especially with summer’s most basic basics…with jeans and a white T-shirt. Somehow, the juxtaposition of spare and kitsch just works.
5. The Bermuda Short — Let’s face it…short-shorts just aren’t for everyone (this gal, included), which is why the return of the sleek and tailored Bermuda short is such a welcome spring arrival. Kind of Thom Browne-meets-modern girl, the new Bermuda short has lean lines and loads of versatility. However, when it comes to shoes, we recommend staying grounded: Stick to a fun, flat sandal or one of the season’s cooler platform oxford/creeper. The heels and shorts thing, well…no thanks.
6. The Nighttime Jumpsuit — We don’t like to play favorites, but with the nighttime jumpsuit, we kind of have to. Any woman that doesn’t have this piece in her closet needs to find hers ASAP. How much happier is life getting dressed for a dinner with friends, a party, or a big date night when you have a sexy, easy onesie in your closet? A lot. We won’t go as far to say it’s spring’s Holy Grail, but it’s damn close.
7. The Bright, Pointy Pump — The virtues of a classic, pointy pump are endless; however, spring’s pretty, petal-toned versions are one of the best ways we know how to brighten up an otherwise average outfit (and a bad mood!).
8. The Statement Sunglasses — Following in the footsteps of our favorite out-there handbags, jewels, and shoes, statement sunglasses are sort of like our weirdo wardrobe outlier. They’re unexpected, seemingly impractical, but nevertheless irresistible. Kind of ’60s Mad Men, these over-the-top shades are a must for cranking up the wow factor, whether you’re beach bound or window shopping during the weekend. The rule of thumb: Go big or go home.
9. The Moto-Denim Jacket — We’d never suggest packing up your standard jean jacket, but this season, your spring wardrobe’s hardest working piece has gotten a stylish upgrade with moto detailing and a tougher attitude. If winter’s must-have leather moto wasn’t your jam, the denim version might well be a better fashion-forward fit.
10. The Ear Cuff — At first, everyone thought these runway gems were strictly for show, but now every editor on our team is searching for her perfect pair. Many styles are still way over the top, but we found two pairs that any girl could pull off, even at the office.
11. The Fun Trench Coat — We’re not saying your old trench is out of date, but spring’s more playful rendition gets gold stars for breaking up those gray days with an extra shot of sunshine. Just throw it on over a suit or cropped jeans, pop the collar, and you’re pretty much done.
12. The Woven Clutch — If you’re like us, you have a pile of random totes and clutches lurking in every drawer and closet corner. Well, this spring, we advise a little purge of the yesterday purses — go ahead…it’s good for you! — just make sure you have a fresh, new woven style to fill the void, as it’s the perfect little extra for stashing in your work bag, bringing along on a weekend trip, or simply toting along for dinner. Easiest instant update EVER.
13. The White Shoe — Truth be told, the stark-white shoe isn’t for everyone, but it’s so good and invariably chic, we couldn’t leave it off our list. Kind of old Helmut Lang-meets-new-Céline, the spring white shoe is simultaneously simple and daring…and it really does work with everything. We say, go for it.
14. The Fantasy Headband — Because every woman has a night when she needs a little extra shimmer, and the Fantasy Headband delivers in spades. With long and loose curls, a short crop, or a low chignon, it makes a statement.
15. The Colorful Anorak — When the cold weather breaks, we all want to spend as much time outdoors as possible, and the Colorful Anorak is the best excuse to get off the couch. Whereas the basic anorak seems style-averse, the colorful newbie is ready to rumble, with a summer dress, overalls, you name it — it’s the perfect hit of happy.
16. The Statement T-Shirt — If you haven’t already edited through your old T-shirt collection, the break of spring is just the time to take stock and invest in a quality style that really makes a statement. Another can’t-live-without-it piece, the statement tee is bar none, a lifesaver when you need to suit up fast.
17. The Eyelet Tea Dress — Like its more serious cousin, the LBD, the white eyelet tea dress is one of those whimsical forever pieces that just won’t quit. It’s pure old-school pretty and needs practically nothing short of a bold, bright sandal to turn on the charm.
18. The One-Piece Bathing Suit — You might say to yourself, “Do I really need another one-piece bathing suit this season?” And, well, “need” is a debatable word. But we will say that spring’s latest batch of sleek one-pieces feels way sexier than last year’s bikini, plus our picks look crazy-chic worn under a long skirt. Puts that plain-old tank top to shame!
19. The Sophisticated Shopper — With spring’s rebirth comes more dates, more activities, more exercise, more STUFF. Tote it all around responsibly (read: stylishly!) with the sophisticated shopper…heck, you can even use this roomy tote as a weekend bag. Just keep your stash simple.
20. The Cutout Bootie — As soon as that first bout of humidity rolls in, any form of leather hugging our feet is a recipe for stinky, which is why spring’s cutout bootie offers some sweet relief, allowing for some refreshing ventilation and a little extra practical height (to boot).
21. The Sweater Jacket — Ah, the joys of between-season air-conditioning…as you jockey between hot and cold, grab your go-everywhere sweater jacket and keep the temps steady. This is one piece that, while deceivingly basic, still offers a multitude of everyday outfit options.
22. The Fashion Sweatshirt — Potentially silly, yes. Undeniably awesome, double yes! You’re just going to have to trust us on this, but the fashion sweatshirt is kind of the top-of-season buy. It’s comfy, cool, a little kooky…like, what’s not to love?
23. The Floral Cropped Trouser — If we’ve learned anything from the Gospel of J.Crew, it’s that we can’t go another spring without a perfect-fitting floral cropped trouser. Look hard, look long, because once you find the pair that delivers a long, lean silhouette without threatening to self-destruct as soon as you bend down to buckle your sandal, you’re truly golden.
24. The Daytime Bustier — No, we’re not suggesting you wear this out to meet your new in-laws, but we do advise wearing it (under a blazer or our favorite long vest) to meet your future husband or wife. It’s that good.
25. The Tunic Dress — Maybe not the most obvious essential, but when you see how incredibly useful a fun spring tunic dress can be, you’ll be sold. We love it over our favorite cropped floral trousers, a swimsuit at the beach, or simply on its own for some warm-weather strolling. No matter how you slice it, this deceptive little dress means business.
26. The Low-Heeled Sandal — We don’t have to sell anyone on how utterly awesome a good, low-heeled sandal can be come springtime. The only trick is choosing a style that’s a combo of classic and quirky, preferably in a bright contrast color that totally POPS.
27. The Striped T-Shirt — You know them, you love them, which is why a good striped T-shirt can never, ever be underestimated. This is basically the shirt we live in all spring and summer, so if your favorite from last year is MIA (and let’s face it, whose isn’t?), it’s time to replenish.
28. The Short Suit — Again, shorts aren’t necessarily for everyone, but if you are one of the lucky ladies out there who loves to show some gam, then the short suit is your spring uniform, just right for everything from casual meetings to late-night carousing. Remember, no skinny, spindly heels though (like how it was presented on the model)…this duo demands a sturdy platform, wedge, or flat all the way.
29. The Heavy, Chain Necklace — Clean and mean, the heavy, chain necklace is our new favorite add-on and a much-needed diversion from all those bulky statement necklaces we couldn’t resist last year. Why not stash those for the time being and let this stunning solo piece do all the work?
30. The Perfect White Tank — Yes, we’ve had this gem on our list before, but let’s just say it never gets old, that is, until it DOES get old, discolored, and stretched out, at which time you need to update, STAT. So, take a tip this season and choose one that’s feminine and a little refined (not just a throwaway!). It’ll go perfectly with all those Tracy Anderson triceps moves you’ve been practicing.
Market Research by Willow Lindley
Click HERE to read more from Refinery29.