Prawns in Clear Sauce
8 prawns, fresh
1 stalk celery
1 oz. carrots
2 ½ oz cashew nuts
1 tsp scallion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1 tbsp rice wine
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp MSG
½ tsp sesame oil
1. Shell the prawns and remove the head and tail. Use the knife horizontally and cut a prawn 2/3 of the way through from the back. Spread the prawn out flat and roll from head part to tail. Insert the tail to the middle.
2. Remove the tough part of celery. Cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces, each piece forming a diamond shape. Slice the carrots into the same size. Since the carrot is a fairly stable ingredient, you may cut it into some decorative shapes.
3. Deep fry the cashew nuts over low heat. Remove as soon as they change color.
4. Place the prawns in a bowl and dredge in cornstarch.
5. Combine all the seasonings in a bowl except sesame oil and mix.
6. Heat a wok until it begins to smoke. Pour 3 cups of oil into the wok and heat to 248°F. Pass the prawns through the oil. Remove the prawns as soon as they are cooked through, the surface turning into transparent pink. Then pass the celery and carrot through the oil and drain quickly into the container. (Do not fry the prawns over high heat as they will become crisp instead of turning transparent.)
7. Pour 1 tbsp of fresh oil into the wok and fry the scallion and ginger lightly. Mix the seasonings combine in step 5, stir with a palette. When the sauce starts to thicken, add the prawns, celery and carrot. Turn the heat to high and coat the ingredients in the sauce. Add the cashew nuts and mix. Drop in the sesame oil just before serving and mix.