During the launch of the exercise in the Eastern Equatoria State capital Torit on Monday, eight out of the selected 2,600 ex-combatants surrendered their guns.
According to a DDR report, 7,791 ex-combatants have been successfully demobilised so far in the whole of South Sudan.
The report indicates that the exercise began in June last year in the three states of Lakes, Central Equatoria and Northern Bahr el Ghazal while Western Bahr el Ghazal will be the new location this month.
Officials revealed that Torit caseload stands at 2,613 ex-combatants, whose list, also known as the master list, was provided in advance by the SPLA through the DDR Commission prior to the actual demobilisation.
The SSDDRC chairperson William Deng Deng who led his team from Juba for the Torit launch said the struggle of South Sudanese ended with the 2005 peace deal.
“We took arms to resist acculturation, marginalisation and exploitation of our natural resources by successive governments in the north. Our legitimate armed struggle ended by the signing of the CPA in 2005 by the SPLM and NCP”, he said.
“With the signing of the CPA it becomes necessary for us to reorganise ourselves as we cannot always continue serving in the military. Our reorganisation is necessary in order for us to participate at all fronts of development to catch up with the rest of the developing countries and steer our country towards industrialisation”, he added.
Eastern Equatoria State Deputy Governor Nartisio Loluke Manir welcomed the efforts of the DDRC and thanked partners for their support.
Describing the move as very important step towards nation building, Manir also commended the ex-combatants for surrendering their arms, saying it would greatly contribute to peace.
The ex-fighters who surrendered their guns were awarded certificates of demobilisation and disarmament.
The exercise is being supported by the United Nations agencies including UNDP, WFP, UNMIS and UNICEF.