This building is one of many multi-unit houses in the Sentinel Road/Finch Avenue West area, near York University.
Officers located a deceased woman, in her early 20s, believed to be of Asian descent, at that address. She was unclothed from the waist down. It was obvious that she had been dead for some time.
It is reported that:
– at approximately 1 a.m. on Friday, April 15, 2011, the deceased was having an online webcam conversation with a person overseas, identified by investigators as an online witness
– the online witness reported there was a knock at the door
– the deceased opened the door to an unknown man, who asked to use her cellphone
– investigators cannot exclude the possibility that the deceased knew or was familiar with the man, however the man was unknown to the online witness
– there was a struggle between the deceased and the man and the man turned off the deceased’s laptop
The man is described as white, 20-30, 6′, 175-200 lbs., muscular build, with medium-length brown hair, messy at the front and well-groomed at the back, wearing a blue crew-neck T-shirt.
The deceased’s laptop is now missing. It is believed to be an IBM ThinkPad T400.
Investigators have located a cellphone in the apartment that belonged to the deceased. It is undergoing forensic examination.
Yesterday morning, a post-mortem examination was started. Early yesterday evening, investigators were advised that the medical cause of death was pending further studies, including toxicology work.
There was no evidence of substantial trauma to the body of the deceased, which could readily identify the manner of her death.
There were no obvious signs of sexual assault.
Until the final pathologist’s findings are reported, this case will remain a suspicious death investigation.
UPDATE: The deceased has been identified as Qian Liu, 23, from Beijing, China.