It is alleged that:
– in 2009, the accused met a 90-year-old man,
– the accused posed as a roofing and eavestrough repair man,
– the accused is known in the Victoria Park Avenue/Kingston Road area,
– the accused was hired by the victim to repair his eavestroughs,
– after the repairs were completed, the accused befriended the victim, bringing him small gifts,
– the victim was told by the accused that he was a successful contractor and was involved in a large project where he stood to gain a large profit,
– the accused started asking the victim for small loans, promising him a huge return on his money,
– the accused never repaid the money and continued to ask for more loans, while he constantly promised great return on his money,
– the accused defrauded the victim of his life savings worth $66,450.
Kelly Marges, 44, of Toronto, was charged with:
1) Fraud Over,
2) 37 counts of Fraud Under.
He was scheduled to appear in court at Old City Hall, on Saturday, April 23, 2011, room 101, at 10 a.m.
Police believe there may be more victims.