- Source of Alert
- Hong Kong Department of Health
- Product Names
- Manufacturer / Place of Origin
- Product Description
- These two products are promoted for weight loss.
- Reason for Warning
- The Hong Kong Department of Health warned consumers not to buy or consume these two products after they were found to contain undeclared phenolphthalein, sibutramine and two unauthorized substances similar to sibutramine.
Phenolphthalein was previously used as a laxative but is no longer authorized for sale in Canada because it may cause cancer.
Sibutramine is a prescription drug used to treat obesity. It should only be taken under the supervision of a health care practitioner. Substances similar to sibutramine may pose similar health risks.
- Possible Side-Effects
- In addition to an increased risk of cancer, side-effects associated with phenolphthalein include decreased blood pressure, skin rash and gastrointestinal bleeding.
Side-effects associated with sibutramine include increased blood pressure and heart rate, dry mouth, difficulty sleeping and constipation.