Officers attempted to initiate a traffic-stop in the area of Beatrice Street and Hespler Avenue, at which time the male driver intentionally rammed a marked cruiser car and fled the scene.
A traffic pursuit ensued encompassing approximately 15 kilometres, ending in the area of Henderson Highway and Springfield Road, where the stolen vehicle collided with another cruiser car.
The male driver attempted to flee on foot, however he apprehended by officers after a short distance. An electronic control device was utilized to affect the arrest.
Shawn Cary WARD, 39 years, of Winnipeg, has been charged with the following offences:
– Possession of Property Obtained by Crime X2
– Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle
– Flight from Police Officer & Resist Peace Officer
– Breach of Probation X2
– Drive while disqualified (Highway Traffic Act)
– Fail to remain at the scene of an accident (Highway Traffic Act)
– as well as two outstanding warrants.
WARD has been detained at the Winnipeg Remand Centre.