Christopher Steven Camal has been charged with the following offences:
– Assaulting a peace officer (one count)
– Possession of a dangerous weapon (one count)
– Carrying a concealed weapon (two counts)
– Possession of a prohibited weapon without a license (two counts)
– Unauthorized possession of a firearm (two counts)
– Possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm without a license (two counts)
– Knowingly possessing a firearm without a license (two counts)
Camal’s first court appearance was this morning at 9:30 a.m. in Provincial Court. His court status has not yet been updated.
A traffic stop was anything but routine on July 5th for some Vancouver Police officers after a driver was found to be carrying a concealed and loaded handgun.
Shortly before 6:00 pm, patrol officers stopped a car at Sidney and Kingsway and further investigation revealed the man was on file as missing from New York State. As officers spoke with him, he became evasive and began grabbing at his clothing and waistline. Officers gave the man commands to stop but he refused to comply with their direction.
Without warning, the officers found themselves in a violent struggle as the man allegedly grabbed for their firearms and duty belts. During the struggle a loaded handgun fell to the ground. Cover officers arrived to assist and he was taken into custody.