The project was started in response to community concerns about drug dealers and users in the following neighbourhoods:
1) Bloor Street West and Lansdowne Avenue,
2) Bloor Street West and Ossington Avenue,
3) College Street and Spadina Avenue,
4) Dundas Street West and Spadina Avenue,
5) King Street West and Strachan Avenue,
6) King Street West and Dufferin Street,
7) Queen Street West and Lansdowne Avenue,
8) Queen Street West and Bathurst Street.
These areas have been identified through the analysis of complaints from the community, Crime Stoppers tips, occurrence reports, records of arrest, previous drug projects and statistics provided by the 14 Division Crime Analyst.
In many of these areas, the sale and use of illicit drugs have a direct relationship with levels of prostitution, robberies, assaults, break-and-enters and other property-related offences.
It is alleged that:
− undercover officers made 30 opportunity drug purchases.
A total of 60 people have been arrested in connection with this project, with a total of 124 charges laid.
The total number of convictions for those arrested is 1,222, an average of 20 convictions each.
The following is a list of the drugs and money seized during this investigation:
– crack cocaine (72 grams),
– marijuana, (11 grams),
– Canadian currency ($3,773)
The street value of the drugs seized is $10,000.