At the time of the fire, the entire building was evacuated and sealed off by security and police.
While residents were housed at other locations, Toronto Community Housing continued to keep the building sealed off. Repairs to the building were started and repair teams went from one unit to another.
It is alleged that:
– on Friday, October 22, 2010, an employee of a contracting company started doing repairs to one of the units,
– the employee saw a white box located in a closet,
– the employee opened the box and found a Heckler and Koch model 91 semi-automatic assault rifle.
On Wednesday, December 22, 2010, Shar-Dey Phipps-Walker, 22, of Toronto, was arrested and charged with:
1) Unauthorized possession of a firearm,
2) Possession prohibited weapon,
3) Careless storage of a firearm,
4) Careless storage of a prohibited weapon.
She was scheduled to appear in court at College Park, on Thursday, December 23, 2010, room 501, at 10 a.m.