Three Nanaimo men charged with handgun offences

Three Nanaimo men are currently in custody facing a number of charges after police searched their home on Saturday and turned up three loaded handguns.

The incident began shortly before 5 AM Saturday morning with a call from a male reporting that he had been assaulted and robbed of his money at a home on Wakesiah Ave . He said three males beat him with handguns then stole all of his money. The male, bleeding from an apparent head wound and fearing for his life, ran from the home to another location. The male also said his girlfriend may still be in the home being held against her will. The male’s call was traced to a home off of Brechin Rd. Police and paramedics attended to his location where he was treated then transported by EHS to local hospital. While at the home the male victim told the members he had heard from his girlfriend and that she had managed to flee the home and was now safe.

Officers located the home in the 300 block of Wakesiah and, given the urgency of the situation, entered it and arrested the three males. A cursory search located two loaded handguns ,a small quantity of marihuana and the stolen money on two of the males arrested. The three suspects were then taken into custody and remanded to appear before a Nanaimo Provincial court judge on Tuesday morning.

The home was secured and later in the afternoon, a search warrant was obtained and the home was searched. In addition to the two loaded 9mm handguns an additional Ruger handgun was found .

Remanded into custody were the following:

1. Ricky TRAN ,age 22
-Robbery, Possession of a Controlled Substance(CDSA) , Possess Restricted Firearm

2.Roy Sambath BAN, age 22
-Robbery, Possession of a Controlled Substance(CDSA) , Possess Restricted Firearm

3.Kerry TOP, age 24
-Possess Restricted Firearm

“Getting three handguns off the street and out of the hands of criminals is huge. The bottom line is that it’s a good day for the citizens of Nanaimo as our community just got that much safer,” said Constable Gary O’Brien, media spokesperson for the Nanaimo RCMP.

Related Articles

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


Confirm you are not a spammer! *