The dozen charges were laid late yesterday afternoon, when VANDERVALK appeared before a Justice. He has been remanded in custody until his next court appearance on February 15th, in Port Hardy.
The charges include:
• Theft, Section 334 Criminal Code
• Assault with a Weapon, Section 267(a)Criminal Code.
• Uttering Threats to Cause Death, Section 264.1(1)(a) Criminal Code
• Use of Firearm while Committing an Offence, Section 85(1)(a) Criminal Code.
• Careless Use of a Firearm, Section 86(1) Criminal Code
• Pointing a Firearm, Section 87(1) Criminal Code
• Possession of a Weapon for Dangerous Purpose, Section 88 Criminal Code
• Possession of a Weapon Contrary to Prohibition, Section 117.01(1) Criminal Code
• Possession of Weapon Obtained by Crime, Section 96 Criminal Code
• Breaking and Entering with Intent to Commit and Indictable Offence, Section 348(1) Criminal Code
• Mischief, Section 430(4) Criminal Code
• Non-Compliance with Probation Officer, Section 733.1(1) Criminal Code
The charges of assault with a weapon, theft, and uttering threats relate to alleged offenses at a separate residence on Mine Road, in Port McNeill, earlier in the day (February 8th). During this altercation, it is alleged that VANDERVALK retrieved a firearm belonging to the male resident of the home, uttered threats, assaulted him, and fled. The alleged victim was not seriously injured.
VANDERVALK is known to police, and was under a firearms prohibition and probation at the time of these alleged offenses.
As this matter is now before the courts, no additional details can be released.