The Duke of Edinburgh is unable to attend the Opening Ceremony of the Paralympics 2012 next week as he is still in the process of recovering from a bladder infection.
Philip had been scheduled to join the Queen at the launch of the Paralympic Games on Wednesday, but instead will remain at the family’s private Balmoral estate in Scotland to get more rest.
After spending five consecutive nights in Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, the 91-year-old Duke was discharged on Monday from hospital. The Duke recently recovered from a successful procedure to clear a blocked coronary artery, spending four nights at Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire over Christmas last year.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman has told: “The Duke of Edinburgh will not attend the Paralympics Opening Ceremony. He continues to recover well from his recent infection and will remain at Balmoral.”
During the 2012 London Olympics, Philip attended a number of events including the opening ceremony and his granddaughter Zara Phillips’ equestrian debut.
Prince Philip was in good spirits when he left hospital and told staff he was heading home to enjoy the rest of his holiday, and went on to carry out an official engagement the next day.
It will be the first time the Queen has opened a Paralympic Games. She will be accompanied there in Stratford, east London, by the Earl of Wessex, who is patron of the British Paralympic Association, and the Princess Royal, who is a member of the International Olympic Committee.
Article viewed on Oye! Times at www.oyetimes.com.