The USA Bid Committee on Friday announced that it has withdrawn from the running for the ’18 FIFA World Cup and will exclusively focus on the ’22 event. The race for ’18 is now down to four European bidders. Since FIFA statutes indicate the competition cannot be held on the same continent two cycles in a row, the ’22 campaign is now between Australia, Japan, South Korea, Qatar and the U.S. (USA Bid Committee).
Following the U.S. announcement, England’s FA "almost immediately" announced that "they would step aside" for the ’22 Cup. England bid spokesperson Phil Mepham said, "Now we are concentrating all our efforts on the bid for 2018." England remain "one of the favourites to host" the ’22 event (REUTERS, 10/15).
Blatter "personally impressed" by England bid
Thursday, October 14, 2010
FIFA president Sepp Blatter met UK prime minister David Cameron in London yesterday and reacted positively to England’s bid to host the FIFA World Cup in either 2018 or 2022. The bid pledged to match FIFA’s estimated 75 million pounds annual investment in grassroots football and social development as one of its legacy plans.
"Now England can organise the World Cup tomorrow, England can organise the World Cup – that’s not a problem, but what you are doing is a World Cup for the world," Blatter said. "The situation is such that your bid has impressed me personally. I will report to the executive committee when they meet [at the end of October] before the 2 December decision."
"We are the most diverse football nation in the world and we have travelled so far in kicking racism right out of football and that is one of the reasons why I believe we can make 2018 such a success," added Cameron.
The FIFA president praised English football as a benchmark in stadium security and said the incidents in Genoa that forced the Euro 2012 qualifier between Italy and Serbia to be abandoned the previous night would not have happened had the English approach been applied.
Source: SoccerEx Business Daily