Submitted by Matt Cutler on Tue, 11/01/2011
Samsung Electronics, the official sponsor of the 2011 Asian Cup in Qatar, has launched a tournament-focused mobile application for fans around the world.
The new ‘AFC 2011 Samsung’ Android/Bada OS-based mobile application is downloadable from the android market and the Samsung Apps Store. The app is available on Samsung’s latest smart devices, the Galaxy Tab, Galaxy S, Wave I and Wave II.
The app’s MatchCast service allows users to access real-time performance data on individual players and teams, such as pass accuracy and sprint speed. The service is customisable and also allows users to make direct comparisons between players and teams at the Asian Football Confederation event.
"This is the first time that Samsung has introduced a mobile application specifically designed for a sports event," said Samsung Electronic vice-president and head of worldwide sports marketing, Gyehyun Kwon.
"With the launch of the AFC 2011 Samsung app, we hope to provide a new standard of football viewing experience to football lovers around the world," he added.
European clubs register record losses: UEFA
Submitted by Matt Cutler on Wed, 12/01/2011
As many as 11 clubs could have "potentially" been barred from competing in European competitions this year if UEFA’s new financial regulations had been in place, according to Gianni Infantino, secretary general of European football’s governing body.
UEFA’s new financial fair play rules, which broadly demand that clubs break even, are due to apply from the 2012 financial year, with sanctions likely to be enforced two to three years later.
"Two years ago almost 70% of clubs were in the red," Infantino told reporters as UEFA unveiled its 2009 club licensing report. "At present there are still 56% – that means more than half of all professional football clubs are in the red."
According to UEFA’s figures, the 655 top-flight clubs in Europe generated collective revenues of Eur11.7 billion, a year-on-year increase of 4.8%. "However, the figures demonstrate that we were right to ask for more financial discipline because the reported costs were Eur12.9 billion, an increase of 9.3%," added Infantino.
UEFA’s report revealed that the collective losses of up to nearly Eur1.18 billion represented an 85% increase or "almost double the previous record". UEFA president Michel Platini added: "There won’t be any witch-hunts today but on the other hand we won’t hesitate to clamp down."
The new rules, which were first announced last March, will apply to clubs from 53 top divisions that qualify for European competitions, and will be brought in to ensure clubs do not "repeatedly" spend more than they earn, a UEFA official explained to AFP. European Club Association chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has said the organisation’s 197 members back the new rules.
Mazda drives home Fiorentina sponsorship
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Car manufacturer Mazda has signed up as the new main sponsor of Serie A club Fiorentina, with the deal due to run through to the end of the 2012-13 season.
The Japanese company has replaced Save the Children on the front of the Florence team’s shirts, with the charity’s agreement having expired at the end of 2010. Financial details of the new deal have not been disclosed.
"We are certain we have linked up with the right partner," said Wojciech Halarewicz, Mazda’s director general. "They have a young squad and offer something different. This partnership will allow us to reach a significant target market of potential customers, to whom we can present our range of models."
Fiorentina director Sandro Mencucci added: "We are delighted that our work over the last few years has led to us securing an important partner like Mazda. Save the Children will continue to have a logo on our shirts as we have a responsibility to support the activities of such a charity, and we want to show respect and not diminish the organisation in any way." Fiorentina currently sits in 11th place in Serie A.
Car Manufacturer Vauxhall becomes England Lead Partner
The Football Association today announces a three-and-a-half-year agreement with Vauxhall Motors which will see the leading British vehicle manufacturer become Lead Partner to the England teams.
The agreement runs from 1 January 2011 to 31 July 2014, encompassing UEFA Euro 2012T in Poland-Ukraine and the 2014 FIFA World CupT in Brazil.
In addition to becoming Lead Partner to the men’s senior national team, the partnership includes sponsorship of all other 23 representative England sides – including the women’s teams, men’s youth teams and all the England disability sides.
It will also see Vauxhall become the Official Vehicle Supplier to The FA and the governing body’s Official Youth Partner, covering activities undertaken to promote football in the 12-18-year-old age group.
"This announcement represents a major landmark for The FA and the England teams," said FA General Secretary Alex Horne. "I am looking forward to a long and prosperous relationship with Vauxhall in the coming years.
"Through a difficult economic climate we have concluded a deal of considerable value to the FA and we can now look forward with optimism. Everyone is aware of the difficulties of last year, but we have an opportunity to move forward and there is much in 2011 to be excited about.
"It is also significant news that Vauxhall are also our Official Youth Partner for 12-18 year olds, a key area of attention at the moment. Adrian Bevington, Sir Trevor Brooking and I have been investing a lot of time on our plans for Youth Development and this partnership will be key to those plans.
"Vauxhall is a company with a great history and through our initial conversations it became clear they share our goals and vision for how this relationship can prove mutually beneficial. I’m very much looking forward to getting started."
Announcing the partnership at Wembley Stadium today, Vauxhall Managing Director Duncan Aldred said: "This is an historic day for Vauxhall. To become the lead partner of the England team is a great honour for us.
"We are delighted to be partnering The FA and hope to be a driving force behind the further development and activation of an expansive grass roots football strategy encompassing the whole of the country.
"We have a strong heritage in supporting football including official sponsorship of the highly successful UEFA Euro ’96 Championship in England.
"Football and cars are two of our nation’s biggest passions and this partnership is a clear and unequivocal sign that Vauxhall is firmly behind not only a successful England senior team but is also committed to supporting grass roots initiatives covering youth and junior football as well as women’s football and disability football."
England Manager Fabio Capello said: "I’m very happy that Vauxhall are the new team sponsor.
"Vauxhall is a strong company and it is good for everyone at The FA and all the England teams that we have such a strong commercial partner.
"To achieve your goals in football you need as much support as possible, and it is very important for us all that Vauxhall have provided this strong commitment.
"We will do all we can to reward Vauxhall for their support and this begins with our first objective of this new year; to qualify for Euro 2012."
The agreement was negotiated by The FA’s sponsorship team, led by Peter Daire who commented: "I’m delighted that we are announcing the England Lead Partner for the next two major tournaments, sitting alongside our existing Official Supporter and Official Supplier agreements.
"Everyone at The FA was determined to link up with a brand which has national relevance and matches our aspirations. Vauxhall’s 108-year British heritage, including many years supporting football, perfectly echoes these objectives."
Vauxhall geared up for England sponsorship
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Vauxhall has been confirmed as the new main sponsor of the England national team after the Football Association (FA) unveiled a three-and-a-half-year deal with the car manufacturer on Tuesday.
Vauxhall has replaced Nationwide, which decided against extending an 11-year partnership with the FA. The new deal runs until July 31, 2014, a few days after the conclusion of the next FIFA World Cup in Brazil. The announcement, which had been anticipated for some time, sees Vauxhall become lead partner to the men’s senior national team and the other 23 representative England sides. The General Motors-owned company has also become the FA’s official vehicle supplier.
"Through a difficult economic climate, we have concluded a deal of considerable value to the FA and we can now look forward with optimism," said FA general secretary Alex Horne. "Everyone is aware of the difficulties of last year, but we have an opportunity to move forward and there is much in 2011 to be excited about."
Horne continued: "Vauxhall is also our official youth partner for 12 to 18-year-olds – a key area of attention at the moment." Vauxhall managing director Duncan Aldred added: "To become the lead partner of the England team is a great honour for us." The automotive company is also expected to confirm deals with the football governing bodies in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – which also lost Nationwide as a sponsor in July – and is keen to revive the defunct home international tournament in 2013.
Source: SoccerEx Business Daily
English FA welcomes Vauxhall, but questions Qatar World Cup
Submitted by Matt Cutler on Wed, 12/01/2011
Football Association general secretary Alex Horne warned on Tuesday that moving the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar to the winter would be a "logistical nightmare" and admitted the prospect of staging the tournament in the tiny emirate has left him "in a cold sweat".
Qatar beat the United States, Australia, Japan and South Korea in a vote by FIFA’s executive committee last month, but concerns about the temperatures in the height of the summer have led to calls suggesting the tournament should be switched to the winter. However, Horne, speaking at an event to mark Vauxhall being unveiled as the England national team’s new main sponsor, suggested such a move for the World Cup would severely disrupt the European calendar.
"The notion of playing in Qatar just leaves me in a cold sweat at the moment," he said, according to The Associated Press. "Preparing the teams for that environment, we don’t know enough about what they are promising logistically in terms of training grounds, etc. It doesn’t feel like a great experience for the fans, the whole thing is odd, let me just say that…I know it won’t be easy."
When asked about the possible rescheduling of the World Cup to the winter, Horne added: "It will do all sorts of odd things won’t it, because you need to find nine or 10 weeks across the winter. It’s going to split the season, and you’ll need to start early or finish late. It’s a logistical nightmare. Whether it’s a good idea or not, I don’t know."
On Tuesday, Vauxhall was finally confirmed as the new main sponsor of the England national team after the Football Association (FA) unveiled a three-and-a-half-year deal with the car manufacturer. Vauxhall has replaced Nationwide, with the latter decided against extending an 11-year partnership with the FA. The new deal runs until July 31, 2014, a few days after the conclusion of the next FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
The announcement had been anticipated for some time, and the General Motors-owned company will become the lead partner to the men’s senior national team as well as the other 23 representative England sides. "Everyone is aware of the difficulties of last year, but we have an opportunity to move forward and there is much in 2011 to be excited about," said Horne. The automotive company is also expected to confirm deals with the football governing bodies in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – which also lost Nationwide as a sponsor in July – and is keen to revive the defunct home international tournament in 2013.
Vauxhall driving home nations tournament revival
Submitted by Matt Cutler on Tue, 11/01/2011
Vauxhall, due to be unveiled as England’s new sponsor later today, is behind proposals to revive the home international football tournament.
The car manufacturer has been the key driver behind plans to bring back the competition between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland for the first time since 1984.
Such a tournament would act as a key vehicle for Vauxhall, which is also on the brink of completing further sponsorship deals with the national teams of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
It is thought that the first year the tournament could realistically take place is 2013, although a similar tournament, the Carling Nations Cup, will start next month with the Republic of Ireland competing alongside Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The Carling Nations Cup will be staged at Dublin’s new Aviva Stadium.
A Scottish Football Association spokesperson claimed the body has not held any talks yet with the Football Association in England, but told Sky Sports: "It is an interesting idea and we would obviously hope to be part of any discussions should the opportunity come along."