Canada sets up water sanitation project in Malawi

This article was last updated on April 16, 2022

Canada: Free $30 Oye! Times readers Get FREE $30 to spend on Amazon, Walmart…
USA: Free $30 Oye! Times readers Get FREE $30 to spend on Amazon, Walmart…

MP for Oak Ridges-Markham congratulates Emmanuel International on the implementation of their water sanitation project in Malawi`

Paul Calandra, Member of Parliament for Oak Ridges-Markham, and the Parliamentary-Secretary to the Prime Minister, congratulated Executive Director Richard McGowan Emmanuel International Canada based in Stouffville on the successful partnership with DFATD on providing 92 wells in Malawi, southeast Africa.

Beginning in January of 2014, Emmanuel International Canada (EIC) has implemented a Water and Sanitation Project in Malawi. This is a three year project providing clean water to communities in Malawi in southeast Africa and rehabilitating broken wells. EIC plans to build 8 bore holes, 24 shallow wells, 60 rehabilitated wells, and 3576 sanitation facilities before the end of 2016.

Clean water makes a difference in people’s lives.

The social and economic effects caused by a lack of clean water are often the highest priorities of African communities when they speak of their own development.

Globally, 1.1 billion people do not have access to clean water sources. This lack of access causes about 2 million people – mostly children under the age of 5 – to die from water borne diseases, an estimated 88% of which can be prevented with safe water supply, sanitation, and hygiene.

That means 4.4 out of 5 people who die from these diseases could have lived.

Currently only 57% of the population in Malawi has improved sanitation facilities. That leaves 43% of the population at high risk of preventable water borne diseases!

Training is also a focus of the project to enable long term sustainability. EIC will provide each village with training in hygiene and sanitation as well as training in Community Based Management to enable villagers to maintain the water points and sanitation facilities

The project is supported by DFATD and Emmanuel International Canada donors and supporters. 

Share with friends
You can publish this article on your website as long as you provide a link back to this page.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.