We received a call of an incident at the pool, advised Sgt. Rob Knapton, operations NCO at the Whistler RCMP.
The report was that an adult male had followed a young girl into a shower in the family change room. The victim, who was surprised by the male told him to leave and covered herself with a towel. The male then pulled the towel away and touched the youth, who was under the age of 12.
She responded by pushing him away and telling him to leave, then went to find and tell her father, said Sgt. Knapton, who noted that the victim’s actions and swift response by recreation center staff were key.
The father reported the incident quickly to staff, who contacted the RCMP. We attended immediately and, as a result of our investigation, arrested a 27 year old male for sexual interference.
On April 9th, 2013, Ryan Jonathan Mills appeared before a justice in North Vancouver Court on charges of Sexual Assault and Sexual Interference. He was released by the court to return on April 17th, 2013 with several conditions, including:
– Not to be outside of his residence from 10pm – 6am daily
– Not to consume alcohol or illegal drugs
– Not to contact any person under the age of 18, or anyone who appears to be under 18
– Not to go to any place where someone under 14 could be present
– Not to use a computer or cell phone to contact any person under the age of 18
Whistler RCMP advises that Mills is known to police and are looking for any other witnesses that may have information regarding this event, or any other crime.