Yakim McDaniels, 12, dies by getting trapped in an electric roll-up parking lot gate in Brooklyn, N.Y., Sunday evening. Apparently, Yakim was enjoying with his friends when the 20-foot iron gate slid up, trapping him, and eventually become the cause of his death.
“It’s a game. Kids are always on that gate. They play chicken to see who can hang on the longest,” said neighbor Anthony Figueroa.
Allegedly, one of the young boys set off the gate’s motion sensor in the afternoon. Unfortunately, Yakim kept hanging on the gate while his friends started to jump off.
Reportedly, FDNY emergency squad had to cut through the gate to rescue Yakim. However, he had suffered severe head trauma and after being rushed to Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center, he was pronounced dead.
The entire neighborhood is grieving at the terrible accident. They urge the authorities to ensure more safety by designating spots where children can play and have a good time without being worrying about possible hazards. On hearing the news, Yakim’s mother, Doris Chase, passed out.
“Somebody came and got me and told me my son was on the gate. By the time I got out here, he was already stuck on the gate,” she said.
Article viewed on Oye! Times @ www.oyetimes.com