Residents of France can now exchange their driver’s licence for Manitoba licence

Drivers in France and Manitoba are now able to exchange their driver’s licences in each jurisdiction thanks to a reciprocal arrangement signed last year, Premier Greg Selinger, minister responsible for francophone affairs announced today.

"This agreement allows for easier transition during a relocation," said Selinger. "This is great news for both jurisdictions and especially for Manitoba, where more and more francophone immigrants are choosing to establish their businesses and start a new life with their families."

Reciprocity allows individuals from other jurisdictions to exchange a valid out-of-province driver’s licence for an equivalent-class Manitoba licence without undergoing the usual knowledge and road tests. Likewise, Manitobans who relocate to France are afforded the same exchange privileges. In all cases, vision and medical standards for each jurisdiction continue to apply.

Prior to entering into a reciprocal arrangement with another country, an assessment of several factors is undertaken to retain the integrity of the driver’s licence program in Manitoba. These include consideration of foreign driver’s licence and testing standards, language differences, record keeping, terminology and the application of graduated driver-licensing provisions.

This agreement is the culmination of several years of discussion between Manitoba and the Republic of France.

France already has reciprocal arrangements with four other provinces: Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and Prince Edward Island. New Brunswick allows for unilateral exchange of French driver’s licences.

On June 15, a new reciprocal agreement was also signed by Manitoba with Northern Ireland.

Prior to the additions referred to above, Manitoba had reciprocity arrangements with Germany, the Republic of South Korea and the Republic of Austria for passenger vehicles. There are also reciprocity arrangements with Switzerland, The Isle of Man and the United Kingdom of Great Britain (excluding Northern Ireland) for both passenger vehicles and motorcycle driver’s licences.

Related Articles

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Confirm you are not a spammer! *