Security guard Babashola Ogunnaike jailed for Fulham Rape

A man has been jailed for six years at Isleworth Crown Court today (Friday, 18 February) following a violent stranger rape in Fulham in October 2010.

Babashola Ogunnaike, 38 years (7/6/72), a security guard of West London had previously pleaded guilty to rape at a case management hearing on 6 January.

Detective Inspector James Harman from Fulham Sapphire Team said: "The victim was understandably left traumatised by this experience but was fully supported by our specially trained officers. By working closely with her we were quickly able to track down the person responsible and gather excellent evidence to place before the court, resulting in Ogunnaike pleading guilty.

"I would encourage anyone who has been a victim of rape or sexual assault to come forward and speak to police; you will be treated in the strictest confidence and with sensitivity whilst we carry out a thorough investigation."

The victim, aged 19, was on her way home in the early hours of Sunday, 17 October and was waiting at a bus stop in Fulham Broadway when Ogunnaike approached her and tried to start a conversation.

She got onto her bus and he followed, asking her to move over when she sat down so he could sit with her. He continued to talk to her during the bus journey and at one point took her mobile phone out of her hand and entered his telephone number into it.

The victim got off the bus in Fulham Cross and Ogunnaike followed her again whilst continuing to talk to her, as they turned into Lurgan Avenue he grabbed the victim and turned her around before punching her in the face. She fell onto the road and he continued to punch her in the face before throttling her and raping her. He then ran off and the victim made her way home and called her boyfriend who phoned police.

Enquiries on the number left on the victim’s phone by the suspect quickly revealed Ogunnaike’s name and address. Officers visited the premises and it was confirmed that he owned clothing identical to that seen on CCTV and described by the victim.

Ogunnaike was traced to his work place and was arrested later that morning, following interview he was charged with rape and remanded in custody to appear at West London Magistrates Court.

Related Articles

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Confirm you are not a spammer! *