The Toronto Police Service is requesting the public’s assistance locating a wanted man.
It is alleged that:
– between May 2011 and November 2011, the suspect, Jason Porter, President of Preston Evans Media, would contact single women via online dating websites, luring them into potential relationships
– the suspect would date the women and present himself as a successful businessman
– once their trust was obtained, without the women’s knowledge, he would open bank accounts and apply for credit cards in their names, then defraud them of large amounts of money
– he would then leave the relationship before the women were notified of the frauds from their banks
– the total loss, so far, is in excess of $40,000
Jason Porter, 37, of Toronto is wanted for:
1) Fraud over
2) 13 counts of Fraud under
3) Break and enter
4) three counts of Possession of property obtained by crime
5) two counts of Fail to comply with probation
He is described as white, 5’11”, 190 lbs., with short, dark hair.
Police believe there may be other victims.
Update: On Friday, January 6, 2012, Jason Porter, 37, was arrested and charged with:
1) Break and Enter Commit
2) Possession Property obtained by Crime
3) five counts of Fraud Under
4) three counts of Use credit card obtained by crime
5) four counts of Laundering proceeds of crime
6) two counts of Traffic in Stolen Goods Under
7) Obtaining credit by fraud or false pretence
8) Fail to Comply with Probation
9) Use credit card obtained by crime
10) Laundering proceeds of crime
11) Use credit card obtained by crime
12) Fail to Comply with Probation
13) Possession of Burglar’s Tools
He is scheduled to appear in court at Old City Hall on Friday, January 13, 2012, room 111, at 2 p.m.