On Friday, July 2, 2010, at 2:51 p.m., police were called to the Crowne Plaza Hotel, at 1250 Eglinton Avenue East, for a medical complaint.
It is reported that:
-a boys’ soccer team had just arrived from the United States to attend at soccer tournament,
– many of the boys, aged 9 to 13, were in the hotel swimming pool being supervised by several adults,
– there was no lifeguard on duty.
It is further reported that:
– several boys reported seeing two other boys, aged 12 and 13, struggling in the water,
– while the 13 year-old boy was struggling to stay afloat, the 12-year-old boy was spotted at the bottom of the pool,
– two of the boys jumped into the and pulled the 12-year-old out,
– one adult began CPR immediately on the 12-year-old child as 911 was called,
– a second adult jumped into the pool and pulled the 13-year-old to safety.
The 13-year-old boy was not injured. The 12-year-old boy was taken to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.