On Monday, September 16, 2013, Kimnarine Keshan Maharaj, 24, of Toronto, was charged with Second-Degree Murder.
He appeared in court on Tuesday, September 17, 2013, at 1000 Finch Avenue West, room 306, 10 a.m.
It is alleged that:
– on Tuesday, September 10, 2013, at approximately 12:20 p.m., a collision occurred in the northbound lanes of Mount Pleasant Road and Roehampton Avenue involving a red/grey scooter and a white Ford F250 pick-up truck with a Mount Pleasant Group of Cemeteries logo on the side
– Anthony Koko Chang, also known as “Koko,” was operating the scooter and Kimnarine Keshan Maharaj, also known as “Keshan,” was driving the Ford pick-up truck
– as a result of the collision, Anthony Chang sustained minor injuries and an agreement to settle this collision outside of an insurance claim was made by both men
– the men maintained contact and, on Thursday, September 12, 2013, some time between 7:44 a.m., and 8:30 a.m., it is believe that Kimnarine Maharaj attended Francine Drive to speak with Anthony Chang about the damage to his vehicle
– an altercation ensued between the men and escalated to the point where Anthony Chang sustained life-threatening injuries and died as a result
Investigators are appealing to the public for assistance with the collision that occurred on Mount Pleasant Road and Roehampton Avenue, as well as with the altercation that ensued on Francine Drive.
It is believed that neighbours or students in the area of Francine Drive may have witnessed something the morning of Thursday, September 12, 2103, that may assist with the investigation.