On Saturday, October 23, 2010, members working out of the #2 District Criminal Investigation Bureau conducted investigation of a suspicious vehicle in a parking lot near the intersection of Major Mackenzie Drive East and Cedar Avenue. At approximately 9:15 p.m., investigators observed what appeared to be a drug transaction involving the occupants of the vehicle. Subsequently, two men were arrested without incident for trafficking drugs and a quantity of liquid, believed to be gamma hydroxybutanoic acid (GHB), was seized from the vehicle.
As a result of further investigation, officers executed search warrants at two residences in the Towns of Pickering and Richmond Hill. At these residences officers seized a large quantity and variety of drugs including substances that are believed to be of liquid steroids (GHB), ecstasy, marihuana, psilocybin, heroin, cocaine, ketamine and crystal methamphetamine. Investigators estimate the total drug value seized as a result of the investigation is approximately $70,000 in addition to more than $12,000 in cash.
• Derek MCNAMARA, 30, of Pickering
• Ryan TAYLOR, 32, of Markham
• Possession of a Controlled Substance x 6
• Possession of a Controlled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking x 7
• Possession of a Controlled Substance
• Possession of a Controlled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking
• Trafficking a Controlled Substance
Both accused have been held in custody and will appear next before the Ontario Court of Justice in Newmarket sometime today.