Less than a week in to the team’s training camp (Mar. 5-17 in Casa Grande, Arizona) FC Edmonton will take on FC Tucson to kick off its pre-season schedule.
Edmonton’s professional soccer team has been training throughout the off-season; however, technical director Joe Petrone said you can train all you want but until you see the players in game situations you don’t really know what you have.
“You always want to start with very good competition and work your way up to great competition,” Petrone said. “That’s what we tried to achieve with year’s pre-season schedule.”
After FC Tucson, FC Edmonton has a two-game set against the University of New Mexico Lobos before travelling to Vancouver for a third game to finish off training camp.
Following that, the team travels to Winnipeg for two games against the Alliance. Finally FC Edmonton will take on league champs Minnesota Stars in one last pre-season friendly.
*FC Edmonton 2012 Pre-Season Schedule:*
· Saturday, March 10, 2012 – FC Edmonton vs. FC Tucson – Grande Sports World @ 5 p.m.
· Sunday, March 11, 2012 – FC Edmonton vs. University of New Mexico @ 1 p.m.
· Tuesday, March 13, 2012 – FC Edmonton vs. University of New Mexico @ 12 p.m.
· Saturday, March 17, 2012 – FC Edmonton vs. Vancouver Major Soccer League All Stars – Vancouver @TBD
· Saturday, March 24, 2012 – FC Edmonton vs. Winnipeg Alliance – Gateway Community Centre @ TBD
· Sunday, March 25, 2012 – FC Edmonton vs. Winnipeg Alliance – Gateway Community Centre @ TBD
· Monday, April 2, 2012 – FC Edmonton vs. Minnesota Stars – National Sports Center