On September 11, 2008, a worker was fixing the circuit board for an elevator at the University of Western Ontario. The worker was on a ladder in the pit and shaft area of the elevator while the elevator’s power was still on. The worker was not using rubber gloves, mats, shields or other equipment to protect against electrical shock. The worker touched the back of the circuit board, received an electrical shock, and fell to the concrete floor of the pit. The worker suffered wrist and facial fractures.
Kone Inc. pleaded guilty to failing to ensure the worker used rubber gloves, mats, shields and other protective equipment and procedures adequate to ensure protection from electrical shock and burns.
The fine was imposed by Justice of the Peace Robert Gay. In addition to the fine, the court imposed a 25-per-cent victim fine surcharge, as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.