This article was last updated on April 16, 2022
You’ve probably spring-cleaned your apartment, but — hello! — your body could use a little love, too. Yep, it’s time to give yourself a little head-to-toe overhaul. And, we don’t just mean looking great in a bikini (though these ideas could get you there, too). We’re talking a body makeover from the inside out. Adding just a few easy things to your everyday routine can shift your body in a new, healthier direction — and it’s easier than you might expect.
Whether you’re looking to find the organic foods youreally need to eat, or you’re ready for a tiny (yet effective!) detox plan, we’ve found 15 ways to get your body beautiful from the inside out — and yes, they’re totally do-able. Consider it your countdown to summer…except this year, you’ll be stronger, fitter, and more unstoppable than EVER.
1. You are what you eat, so you might as wellknow what you’re eating. Learn when to buy organic and how to reduce your exposure to pesticides in fruits and vegetables with EWG’sDirty Dozen, a list of the 12 most contaminated produce items. Find the freshest produce available, with Eat Local, a new app that’s like a homing device for the nearest farmers market.
2. So many greens are in season, so eat your salad — but skip the store-bought dressings, which can be filled with sugar and trans fats. “DIY salad dressings are far quicker and easier than you think,” says holistic health coach Tammy Walker. “Got extra virgin olive oil, salt, and vinegar or fresh lemons? You’ve got salad dressing.”
3. If you can’t stand another minute on a treadmill, take your workout to the open air. “Performing your training practice outdoors, whether it is yoga or strength training, is super beneficial for the mind-body connection,” says Brandon Sewall, a wellness coach and founder of Primitive Movement. “Adapting to your environment and Mother Nature’s elements creates a smarter, more adaptive, and a much more able body.”
4. No time to recharge in the great outdoors? Don’t stress — there’s an app for that. Calmwill guide you through relaxation sessions featuring soothing nature scenes. Choose a two-, 10-, or 20-minute session and feel your tension slip away.
5. Believe it or not, you might be able to sleep your way to a fitter body. Well, sort of — but getting those Zs matters. “Even people who are highly committed to following a strict diet and fitness training will not get the results they expect [without adequate sleep],” says Erwin Le Corre, the founder of MovNat, a fitness system based around our natural movements. “In some cases, people will even ‘back-pedal’ if they’re not getting the amount and quality of sleep they need.” So, rest up — your body will thank you in more ways than one.
6. Even if you aren’t ready to swing a multiple-day juice cleanse, a small one can make a big impact on how you feel, according to Erica Huss and Zoe Sakoutis, founders of juice juggernaut BluePrint. “Giving your body a rest for even one day will allow it to catch up, and if you bookend one day of juice with a diet of only raw fruits, veggies, and nuts, it’s a great way to get accustomed and ready for a longer cleanse next time.”
7. You’ve heard about BB creams, but get this: Now, you can drink your BB with Kusmi Tea’s BB Detox. (The BB stands for Beauty Beverage.) Sounds a bit out-there, but the ingredients are seriously healthy: The blend of green tea and mate fights free radicals, which helps keep you looking (and feeling) youthful.
8. Acupressure can relax your mind and energize your body, and you can pick up on some of its benefits without booking an appointment. Sure, lying down on a spikyYantra Mat feels a little bit like resting on a bed of tiny nails, but the ensuing stress relief and improved circulation are so worth it.
9. Not able to squeeze in a full workout? You might as well jump. “Jumping is an explosive movement that requires power, coordination, and balance,” says LeCorre. “Performing jumps can certainly contribute to your overall health, especially if you perform briefly (a few minutes) but at a high level of intensity. Intensity will boost physiological adaptation, including the production of Human Growth Hormone (HGH), which is responsible for muscle growth but also repairing body tissues and burning fat.”
10. “The fastest way to get results you can write home about? Focus on your legs,” says Sadie Kurzban, a personal trainer and founder of 305 Fitness. “If you’re looking for a quick fix you can incorporate on the regular, focus on the large muscle groups (quads, glutes, hamstrings) and on moving them in a big way.”
11. Massage is great for your circulation — and, according to celebrity fitness instructorKristin McGee, yoga twists can give you one from the inside. “Twists are great for slimming and sculpting the waist and mid-section,” she says. “They give our internal organs a gentle massage, which helps with digestion and elimination.”
12. Dry-brushing your skin not only improves circulation, it also encourages the circulation of lymph fluid, which eliminates cellular waste. “It only takes about three minutes to dry-brush your whole body,” says Kristy Cimesa, founder of Elemental Herbology. “It is best done in the morning before bathing. Apply enough pressure to stimulate circulation, but not so much that it hurts.”
13. Summer heat can disrupt the scalp’s renewal process, and that’s how dandruff and itchiness can enter the picture. “I recommend a weekly clarifying rinse using organic apple cider vinegar and/or a cool water rinse post-shampoo and conditioner,” says John Masters of John Masters Organics. A bonus: Doing this will close the hair cuticle, resulting in serious shine. Not into DIY beauty recipes? His leave-on Deep Follicle Scalp Treatmentkeeps your head’s pores clean and clear, too.
14. Want to run a 5k, but have no idea how to start training for it? Download one of Greatist’s easy-to-use training guides, which will teach you basics on form, warming up, and cooling down.
15. Make serious progress toward your goals — fitness or otherwise — with Everest, a new app that helps you create a realistic path to success. Get reminders, mark milestones, and see how other people have achieved similar goals. You will live the dream this summer…and beyond.
Designed by Isabelle Rancier
Click HERE to read more from Refinery29.