Pictures released of men who started fight at Chelsea v Cardiff City football match

New images of Chelsea supporters police wish to speak to

New images of Chelsea supporters police wish to speak to
POLICE INVESTIGATING a large scale fight at the end of the Chelsea v Cardiff City 5th round FA Cup match in February are releasing 23 new images of supporters they want speak to.
This follows on from previous appeals in early June to trace over 50 fans involved in the disorder which began at Stamford Bridge at 12:00hrs on Saturday 13 February. Of those, 20 people have been successfully identified and are either subject to ongoing investigations or criminal proceedings.
On the morning of the match over 100 Chelsea supporters began to gather in the West Brompton area. They moved towards the North End Road where they gathered in two groups.

Following the arrival of three coaches of Cardiff supporters several clashes took place in the Fulham Road area between the groups, the most serious leading to smoke bombs being let off.

Police dispersed the group and the crowds made their way into the stadium. Chelsea supporters, who didn’t have tickets for the match, continued to watch the game in pubs in the area.
As the final whistle blew opposing supporters made their way to the Fulham Road close to the junction with Holmead Road.
New images of Cardiff City supporters police wish to speak to

New images of Cardiff City supporters police wish to speak to
Tension between the two groups quickly escalated and police formed a line between the supporters in a bid to separate them. A number of Cardiff supporters broke off from the main group and cut down an alleyway onto the Kings Road, where they were met by a group of Chelsea fans.
Over 200 people took part in a fight on the Kings Road, missiles including road cones and bricks’ were thrown.
During the incident a number of officers were injured, with one male PC sustaining a facial injury that required surgery.
Following the disorder, the Metropolitan Police Service set-up an investigation team under the name ‘Operation Ternhill’ to identify and arrest those involved, sending out a clear message that this type of violence will not be tolerated.

Detective Superintendent William Lyle of Hammersmith and Fulham Borough said:
"Thanks to the public’s response to previous appeals we have identified 20 fans involved in this large-scale disorder. Our appeals continue as there are further people we need to identify.

Over 40,000 law abiding fans’ attended this event to support their teams and enjoy a day of good football. Unfortunately they saw a brief glimpse of the type of violence we have worked hard to prevent in recent years.

"We are committed to keeping football a safe environment where people are able to take their families without fear of violence.
"If you recognise anyone in these pictures or have information regarding the incidents please contact police on 020 8246 2712 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."
51 people have been charged with various offences ranging from affray, violent disorder and GBH under the Public Order Act. All have been bailed to next appear for plea and case management (PCMH) or committal hearings at West London Magistrates’ Court from the beginning of August 2010 onwards.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Confirm you are not a spammer! *