A fire incident on the second floor of a duplex in Torronoto’s west side on Sunday night consumed a 52-year-old woman who died at the spot. The emergency crews were informed of the unfortunate event on 304 Sorauren Ave. almost around 10:30 p.m. on Sunday. The Toronto police officers were first to reach the scene, though they were forced to retreat in view of the intensive flames which did not allow them to pursue, giving them no other option but to wait for firefighters instead. Soon after, the firefighters arrived and encompassed the whole apartment to put out fire, which was quickly contained on the second-floor. The dead body of the deceased was found lying on a couch in the living room.
Jason Rice, a neighbor who witnessed the incident, was walking around with a friend, when the smoke coming out of duplex caught his attention. He explains that “once we saw [smoke] coming from the side of the house, I was slamming on some doors, knocking on some doors.” He elaborated that “the owner came out, we got some keys and got through the door and he told me that there was somebody up there but we couldn’t get much further than five feet.”
The firefighters later informed our sources that they did find a smoke detector in the building, but it looked like the batteries of the smoke detector were removed. The fire marshals of Ontario are currently investigating the unfortunate incident, though so far there is no concrete evidence to declare the cause of fire.
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.