Anwar Out Of The Kajang Race

Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s defence lawyer Karpal Sing said in reference to the Appeals Court ruling, that the opposition leader now could not contest in the Kajang state by-election. “With today’s conviction, Anwar can’t file his nomination paper for the Kajang by-election on March 11” he informed the media reporters gathered at the court.

Anwar was sentenced to five years’ jail by the Court of Appeal earlier today, after the court found him guilty of sodomising his former aide Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan, five years ago. Justice Datuk Balia Yusof Wahi, leading a three-man panel court in hearing the prosecution’s appeal in the case, however, gave permission to Anwar’s application for a stay of the sentence, pending an appeal with a bail of RM10,000, which has to be paid by 11am Monday morning. In overturning the High Court’s decision in acquitting Anwar, Balia stated that the panel unanimously held that the trial judge had erred in his finding that the integrity of DNA samples used in the case had been compromised.

Later Anwar informed the media reporters outside his home in Segambut Dalam this Friday, ‘I cannot contest, (but) I will ensure with my colleagues in Pakatan Rakyat that the Kajang move will not be derailed.’  He said he will still pay a role in Selangor, ‘It does not matter who is going to contest; they will contest in the name of Pakatan who will continue to build up Selangor.’

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


Confirm you are not a spammer! *