Sword-wielding man arrested on Vancouver Skytrain

Vancouver Police officers have safely taken a man into custody after he was allegedly waving a sword on the Skytrain and in downtown Vancouver.

Shortly before 1:30 p.m. this afternoon, Transit Police received calls that a man was on the Skytrain at Metrotown, allegedly acting irrationally, repeatedly unsheathing a sword-type object. The man continued on the Skytrain towards downtown Vancouver and was at the Burrard Skytrain Station when Transit officers made contact with him and observed and engaged as he began waving around the sword.

The man exited the Skytrain platform onto Burrard Street and made his way to the northeast corner of Burrard and W. Georgia, where Vancouver Police officers were quickly gathering to assist Transit officers. They began negotiating with the man as VPD patrol and Emergency Response Team members arrived to ensure the safety of bystanders and clear the area.

The man’s actions allegedly became increasingly irrational and he was not complying with commands to drop the sword. Out of concern for the man’s safety and the safety of bystanders who were gathering nearby, VPD Emergency Response Team members deployed multiple rounds from an Arwen gun. The Arwen rounds were ineffective and the man continued to wave the sword. Officers then deployed the Taser, which was also ineffective.

Shortly before 2 p.m., the man ran north and then west across Burrard towards Melville Street and officers gave chase on foot. He was tackled by officers and the sword was taken from him and recovered.

No bystanders or officers were injured during the incident. The man is currently in police custody and being examined by ambulance attendants but not believed to have any injuries. He is facing possible weapons-related charges and officers will be requesting the courts consider a psychological examination.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Confirm you are not a spammer! *