Fire Scare At South Sudan TV

Onlookers and STV staff help put off a fire that broke out at the premises in Juba. [Gurtong]The midday incident was triggered by strong winds that blew part of a huge heap of litter that was being burnt within the compound.

According to the station’s Director of News and Programmes Yousif Michael, staffs at the premises were burning litter next to a diesel tank and the generator, which triggered the fire.

“The generator caught fire when our cleaners were burning some rubbish and I think the fire was blown by strong winds to the generator. Fortunately, the fire was put off in time before the worst could happen”, said Michael.

The compound housing South Sudan’s largest television station is littered with heaps of rubbish, creating an eyesore.

Michael blamed passersby for the sad state, saying some people blatantly throw rubbish into the compound.

The Director said efforts to contain the menace are underway, including erection of a fence to keep trespassers at bay.

This is the second fire incident at the premises.

Related Articles

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


Confirm you are not a spammer! *