Abdi Samanter jailed for shooting at a nightclub in London, England

A man who shot at door staff and members of the public outside a nightclub in EC2 was yesterday (Thursday 16 September) jailed at the Old Bailey.

It was a revenge attack after he was refused entry.

Abdi Samanter, 29, of no fixed abode, received an indeterminate sentence to serve a minimum 11 years after being found guilty of two counts of attempted murder.

He had previously pleaded guilty to:

Possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life

Possession of a prohibited weapon

Possession of prohibited ammunition

Possession of a firearm whilst being a prohibited person

Senior Investigating officer, Detective Inspector Michael Millar from the Trident north shootings team, said: "Samanter carried out the shooting in order to teach the two door men a lesson because they had refused him entry to the club.

"He used a revolver to shoot five times at door staff and members of the public at close range – it was miracle no one was hit.

"Today’s conviction could not have been achieved without the courage and bravery shown by two doormen and a passing taxi driver who chased and caught Samanter even though he levelled his firearm and shot at them. I would like to thank the men for their actions and for giving evidence at court.

"It is thanks to them, and the determination and tenacity of officers from the Trident north shootings team, that a dangerous individual is now off our streets and behind bars."

An investigation was launched by Trident following the shooting outside Sosho Club in Tabernacle Street EC2 on Sunday 14 December 2009.

The incident was sparked after a group of men, including Samanter, attempted to gain entry into the club at approximately 02.40hrs.

A disturbance followed and the men kicked over barriers and threw bottles before making off.

At approximately 05.00hrs, Samanter returned to the club on a motorcycle with another man.

Samanter, who was the pillion passenger, got off the vehicle outside the Sosho Club and fired shots into a group. No one was injured.

Samanter made off on the motorcycle in the direction of City Road.

He fell from the vehicle moments later and was confronted by the door staff he shot at. Samanter made off, but was pursued on foot by the door staff, joined by a member of the public (a taxi driver).

Samanter continued to fire shots at the men.

The men were not hit and continued to pursue Samanter, detaining him in Dysart Street EC2 where he was arrested.

Samanter was subsequently charged and dealt with as above.

Related Articles

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Confirm you are not a spammer! *