Arrest made in Human Trafficking Investigation, Man faces 18 new criminal
On Thursday, January 23, 2020, members of Sex Crimes – Human Trafficking Enforcement Team commenced an investigation in the City of Toronto.
It is alleged that:
– within a short period of meeting each other; a man procured the victim into the sex trade
– he proceeded to forcefully administer illicit drugs to the victim, further maintaining control over her and continuing the cycle of exploitation
– through threats and intimidation he continuously would control and exploit the victim into the sex trade
– over an extended period of time, he assaulted, sexually assaulted, choked and forcibly confined the victim
– through assistance from the public the victim was able to escape
The Human Trafficking Enforcement Team, with the assistance of the Emergency Task Force, 11 Division and 43 Division officers, located and arrested a man.
Jamaal Koehler, 25, of Toronto, was arrested on Thursday, January 23, 2020, and charged with:
1) two counts of Sexual Assault 271 CC
2) Trafficking in persons by recruiting, transporting, and harbouring 279 01(1) CC
3) Financial and Material benefit resulting from trafficking in persons 279.02 CC
4) Material Benefit from Sexual Services 286.2 (1) CC
5) Forcible Confinement C.C. 279(2) CC
6) four counts of Assault 266 CC
7) Threaten bodily harm/death 264.1(1)(a) CC
8) Administer Noxious Substance C.C. 245(b)
9) Overcome Resistance to offence/ attempt to choke 246(a) CC
10) Overcome Resistance to offence/ administer drug 246(b) CC
11) two counts of Assault with a weapon 267(a)
12) two counts of Forcible Confinement C.C. 279(2)
He is scheduled to appear in court at 1911 Eglinton Avenue East, on Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 10 a.m., room 412.
A photograph of the man has been released.
Police are concerned there may be more victims.