Police and emergency services responded to find five men suffering from serious injuries.
Four of the men were pronounced dead at the scene, the fifth man was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries. A sixth man was rescued uninjured.
It is alleged that:
– Metron Construction Corporation and/or Metron Construction Inc. was contracted by the building owners to repair and restore concrete balconies to 2757 Kipling Avenue,
– six construction workers were on the swing stage when a seventh person attempted to get on the swing stage,
– as the seventh person began to get on the swing stage, it broke into two pieces,
– four of the workers fell to their deaths, one fell and sustained life-threatening injuries and one worker who had attached himself to a lifeline was pulled to safety.
Vadim Kazenelson, 35, of Gormley; Joel Swartz, 51, of Toronto; Benny Saigh, 52 of Toronto; and Metron Construction Corporation have each been charged with:
1. Criminal Negligence Causing Bodily Harm,
2. four counts of Criminal Negligence Causing Death.
The accused are scheduled to appear in court at 2201 Finch Avenue East on Wednesday, October 13, 2010, room 206 at 2 p.m.