This article was last updated on May 26, 2022
The Upper Nile State Minister of Information Philip Jiben Ogal said the rebels have been continuously attempting to attack on the key towns of the state including Doleb Hill in Panyikang.
“They have been attacking our position yet the cessation of the hostilities agreement had just been signed by the two parties. I don’t know why they still make attacks,” said Jiben.
Jiben appealed to the international community to ask the rebels to stop attacking government positions.
“They should respect the Agreement. They have been attacking our forces at Anak-diar and in Baliet counties but have been repulsed at any attempt they made,” Jiben explains.
The Army spokesperson Col. Philip Aguer also confirmed that fighting had been ongoing in the country despite the cessation of hostilities agreement last Thursday in Addis-Ababa, Ethiopia.
Aguer said on radio Miraya that there has been a continuous attack by the rebels on the SPLA and government positions in Jonglei and Upper Nile states.
“In Jonglei, fighting took place in the northern area of Bor Town. Forces of Riek attacked government positions in Mathinag Boma and Jale payam,” Aguer said.
Gurtong could not independently verify the accusation of the breach of the cessation of hostilities agreement by the rebels as it is difficult to talk them.
The Government of the Republic of South Sudan (GRSS) and the Anti-Government forces on 24th January 2014 signed agreements on Cessation of Hostilities to bring to an end violence that started mid last month in Juba and spread to Bor, Bentiu and Malakal following an alleged coup attempt.