WBG Health Ministry On High Alert Over Cholera

The Minister of Health in Western Bahr el Ghazal state, Dr. Issac Clerto Rial has cautioned the public in the state to be on the lookout for any cholera outbreak as it has already been reported in the capital Juba.
 
June 29, 2015[Gurtong] – According to a report by UNICEF, at least 18 people, including two children less than 5 years died from cholera in the recent outbreak.

According to UNICEF, the first cholera case was reported on 27 May in the Protection of Civilians (PoC) site in Juba. Since then, 170 suspected cases have reportedly been recorded inside the site and in villages across Central Equatoria

Dr, Isaa Clerto said that the government in the state is putting strategies in place so that the issue can be handled early enough.

“The Ministry of Health has set up an awareness taskforce committee in the state to update the public about the outbreak of the disease,” Rial told Wau town residents during a one day conference held over the weekend in Wau.

“The awareness centres have been established in Wau town throughout the municipal council to prevent any infections especially among the school children and at overcrowded markets, said the MinIster.

“Our people must maintain hygiene, wash hands with soap after visiting the toilets and before eating,” hadding that, “we also need our water sources to be always clean to protect ourselves.”

He however said that no case of cholera has been reported in the state.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


Confirm you are not a spammer! *