This article was last updated on May 27, 2022
By Jok P Mayom
JUBA, 06th July 2015 [Gurtong] – Hon. Peter Hoth Tuac the State Minister of Information also government Spokesperson told Gurtong today, Monday morning from the State that the SPLA has managed to push out the rebel forces from the State.
“The government troops are in full control of Malakal town this morning. The rebels are being pursued” said Hoth. “Our gallant SPLA forces entered Malakal this morning at 7 o’clock local time and they are now pursing the rebel forces outskirts of the town.”
“As you know Malakal town was occupied by the rebel forces and this morning the SPLA recaptured It.” he added.
Hoth said the SPLA is pursuing the rebel forces towards Dolieb Hill in Panyikang County of the State and further to Canal in the neighboring northern Jonglei Stat.
Hoth reveals that the senior SPLA military officials including the Chief of General Staff Gen. Paul Malong Awan were in the State. “The chief of General Staff came three days ago to give support and morale to the SPLA forces” Hoth said.
The governments’ Army Spokesman, Col. Philip Aguer Panyang in his latest interview with Gurtong accused the rebels of violating the cease fire signed several times saying they have been attacking government positions.
“Rebels have never adhered to the cease fire since last year. Said Aguer, “and as the army we have the responsibility to constitute our mandate to provide security and protect the integrity and the Republic of South Sudan with its people.”
James Gatdet Dak, the Spokesman of the SPLM/SPLA [IO] Chairman, claimed earlier that the combined forces of SPLM/SPLA-IO and SPLA-Aguelek forces captured Malakal at 10pm, local time last Saturday.
“Upper Nile state’s capital, Malakal, is under our full control. It was captured at 10pm on Saturday. A joint force of SPLM/SPLA and Aguelek under the overall command of Major General Johnson Olony took control of the town.” Gatdet was quoted as saying.
The control of Malakal has changed hands between government and rebel fighters several times since the conflict erupted in December 2013.