This article was last updated on May 28, 2022
By Jok P Mayom
JUBA, 12 July 2016 [Gurtong-James Gatdet Dak, The official spokesperson of the First Vice President also the leader of SPLA-IO forces Dr. Riek Machar Teny said his boss Machar shortly after President Kiir ordered of CoH responded positively and extended to his forces to end the continuation of fight.
“SPLA-IO forces have agreed to Cessation of Hostilities in Juba. His Excellency, Dr. Riek Machar Teny, First Vice President of the Republic of South Sudan, Chairman and Commander-in-Chief of the SPLM/SPLA (IO), has therefore declared a ceasefire in Juba with effect from 8:00pm local time today, Monday, July 11, 2016” said Gatdet.
Dr. Machar and President Kiir on Friday during a news conference at the State house, J1 said the circumstances under which the shooting erupted remain unclear.
Machar last Thursday, described the unfolding event in the country as an interruption to the dialogue process for the implementation of the peace agreement.
“Measures will be taken so that peace is restored and even to the heart of the city itself. We will overcome it that is why we are sitting three of us” he said.
He said, “This is an interruption to the whole process which we have initiated. We want to continue this process of dialogue among ourselves, resolving issues so that the country comes out of the conflict”
“…we are calling on all the population, all South Sudanese, whether armed or not armed, to respect the ceasefire. Your government is making efforts to ensure that the peace agreement is implemented” he told the media.
Since then fighting begun hundreds have been killed and scores of civilians have been displaced.
President Salva Kiir Mayardit on Monday evening issued a unilateral ceasefire to end the fighting. The army chief of General staff has responded and urged the militants to respect the ceasefire.