The Duke, who will celebrate his 92nd birthday on coming Monday, was taken to hospital following a garden party at Buckingham Palace on Thursday.
Prince was due to accompany the Queen on her official opening of the BBC’s new £1bn home at Broadcasting House in central London on Friday.
A spokeswoman from Buckingham Palace has said the operation, which will be carried out under general anaesthetic, was a planned admission following investigations carried out over the last week, and stretched that the Duke “is in very good health”.
Prince Philip was pulled out of an official engagement for the Royal National Institute of Blind People on Monday, after temporarily losing his voice ahead of attending a service at Westminster Abbey marking the 60th anniversary of the Queen’s coronation.
The palace has stated last night that the duke was expected to stay in hospital for up to two weeks. “Further updates will be issued when appropriate.”
Prime Minister David Cameron has sent a personal message to the Duke of Edinburgh on Thursday wishing him a speedy recovery.
He said the duke was an “extraordinarily dedicated public servant”.
“I know the whole country will be thinking about him, thinking about the family and wishing him well.”
Article viewed on Oye! Times at www.oyetimes.com.