Louis Tate sent to prison for 18 years for the murder of Garry Frater in London, England

A man was sentenced to life imprisonment after being found guilty of the murder of Garry Frater in Edgware in May 2009 at the Old Bailey on Friday 15 October following a re-trial.

Louis Tate, 24 of Rosamun Street, Southall was sentenced serve a minimum of 18 years.

Tate had previously stood trial in March but the jury was unable to reach a verdict and a re-trial was set.

Detective Inspector Andy Chalmers, the investigating officer from the Metropolitan Police Service’s (MPS) Homicide and Serious Crime Command said: "It has been a long process to get to this conviction today, involving a very thorough investigation and two trials. I would like to thank not only my officers for their dedication to solving this case, but also Garry’s family and friends who have supported us throughout. They miss Garry a great deal and continue to try and make sense of why this happened."

The court heard that police were called at approx. 04:10hrs on 30 May 2009 to reports of a fail-to-stop collision in De Havilland Road, Edgware.

Officers and London Ambulance Service attended and the victim was taken to NorthwickParkHospital where he later died.

He was Garry Frater, 32 from Cobham Close, Edgware, a father of three children.

A post-mortem gave cause of death as multiple internal injuries (chest and abdominal crush injuries).

An incident room opened at Hendon and enquiries quickly established that Garry had been on a night out with friends in Watford and whilst there, had come into contact with Louis Tate.

Garry and his friends returned to Edgware in their cab but were followed over 10 miles to Halford Close where an altercation took place. Following this, the car drove to the end of the close turning onto De Havilland Road and was chased by Garry and one of his friends.

The car was then seen to reverse back across the junction at high speed, hitting Garry who was in the middle of the road and dragging him backwards under the car. The car then drove forward at speed, again dragging Garry under the wheels as it drove off.

Officers were able to trace the Ford Fiesta to an address in Acton where it was parked on the driveway with significant damage consistent with the collision.

Forensic analysis showed Garry’s fingerprints and blood on the recovered Ford Fiesta.

Tate was arrested on 11 June and taken to a North London police station were he gave a ‘no comment’ interview. He was charged with murder on 10 June 2009.

A second man was acquitted of murder or manslaughter at trial at the Old Bailey on 30 March 2010.

A third man arrested in connection with the investigation was released with no further action.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Confirm you are not a spammer! *