The terrible incident took place early Saturday, which worsened ties between the two ‘so-called’ allies and threatens to escalate into a clash more crucial than one last year after a similar but less deadly airstrike.
“This incident has my highest personal attention and my commitment to thoroughly investigate it to determine the facts,” said Gen. John Allen, the top commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan.
“My most sincere and personal heartfelt condolences go out to the families and loved ones of any members of Pakistan Security Forces who may have been killed or injured,” he added.
According to Brig. Gen. Carsten Jacobson, spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force, the air support was withdrawn by ground forces near the border consisting of Afghan and alliance troops. He said it is “highly likely (that the airstrike) caused the Pakistani casualties.”
“This is an incident that obviously has implications that reach far beyond the military side, so an investigation was started straight away,” he added.
U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan Cameron Munter also paid his condolences to the families of the deceased Pakistani soldiers.
“I regret the loss of life of any Pakistani servicemen, and pledge that the United States will work closely with Pakistan to investigate this incident,” Munter said.
Article viewed on Oye! Times @ www.oyetimes.com