WFP Crew Back to S.Sudan After Helicopter Mishap

This article was last updated on April 16, 2022

Six members of the United Nations World Food Program are back to South Sudan after the helicopter they were travelling in, last week from Rumbek to Khartoum encountered technical problems and had to make an emergency landing in a remote area in South Kordofan, an SPLA-North controlled zone.

JUBA, February 02, 2015 [Gurtong]- The six member crew of Bulgarians lost contact and were being held by the SPLA-N from the 26th of January before being released yesterday Monday.

WFP’s Spokesman in South Sudan, George Fominyen confirmed to Gurtong that the six have now arrived South Sudan.

“The Sudan people’s Liberation Movement – North said their group was holding the crew members. Now we have been able to receive these crew members who are now back to South Sudan. They were well and they said they were not mistreated at any point.” Fominyen said.

George Fominyen said that WFP worked together with authorities both in Sudan and South Sudan to locate and rescue the crew after contact was lost when the mishap occurred.

He says WFP in particular thanked the Government of Sudan for its support in working for the safe return of the crew.

WFP is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. Each year, WFP assists some 80 million people in around 75 countries.

Share with friends
You can publish this article on your website as long as you provide a link back to this page.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*