Indian embassy officials here have said, while one Indian named Robello Russel Terence, who was a waiter on the ill-fated Costa Concordia, was yet to be traced and labors were on to verify other details about him, no sufferer among the Indians has been reported so far.
The occurrence, which happened on Saturday, left six persons dead. The ship hit a reef or rock near the Tuscan island of Giglio, before it went down. Spokesman of the Indian embassy here, Visvesh Negi, told PTI that “there were a total of 203 Indians on the ship – one traveler and 202 crew members”.
In Delhi, the Ministry of External Affairs has said it has set up control rooms to deal with enquiries about the Indians on board the ship. “Out of the 202 crew members, 201 have been traced and are safe. One person is missing. We are co-ordinating with the Italian Government and trying to trace the missing crew,” Negi said.
Indian Ambassador to Italy, Debabatra Saha, the length of with two Indian officials, have visited the accident spot and is synchronizing the release operation. External Affairs Minister, S M Krishna had ordered immediate action to help the Indians onboard the ship, and had also asked Saha to reach the spot.
Krishna told his officials that there is no need for any papers, proof or certification as the safety of Indians was the first option.
Article viewed on oye! Times at www.oyetimes.com.