Southwest Calgary Home Fire Sends Four to Hospital

Calgary Fire department has confirmed to have rescued a family of four from southwest Calgary townhome that caught fire on early Thursday morning. According to the officials, crews were alerted about a fire at townhouse complex in the 4900 block of 35 Avenue S.W. at around 1 a.m.

Fire officials claim to have found the home with large volume of smoke coming from the front door and four people outside. Officers confirmed that all four victims were suffering from smoke inhalation and were taken to hospital while crew swept through the rest of the home and found it empty. It was confirmed that the rest of the structure, apart from the room that caught fire, suffered extensive smoke damage. Although the investigation is in its early stages, an initial assessment revealed that there were no not smoke detectors in the house. CFD Battalion Chief, Allan Ball, stated that “when our crews were conducting the search for additional occupants, it became very apparent there was no smoke alarms at all in this residence,” adding that “when we were ventilating the adjacent unit, we found there were no working smoke alarms in that unit as well. Obviously, it’s a huge concern for Calgary Fire. This could have been a lot worse.”

Ball confirmed to have contacted Community Safety teams in order to respond to the discovery. Lastly, he stressed that “obviously, they weren’t alerted to this fire by a working smoke alarm. I don’t think it’s a stretch that that’s why they’re suffering from smoke inhalation.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


Confirm you are not a spammer! *