1 (2-layer package) white cake mix
1 small package mixed fruit gelatin powder
1-1/3 cups seedless watermelon cut from the centre
3 egg whites
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup miniature chocolate chips, optional
1/4 cup watermelon juice
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
l 2 cups powdered sugar
l 2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
l 2 to 3 drops red food colouring, optional
l 1/8 cup miniature chocolate chips, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together cake mix and gelatin powder until combined. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat watermelon, egg whites, and vegetable oil until smooth. Add dry ingredients, half at a time, and mix until well-blended. Fold in chocolate chips, if using.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake about 35 minutes until toothpick
inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool to room temperature before
5. For the frosting, blend watermelon juice, butter, powdered sugar, and cream cheese until combined and fluffy. Add food colouring. Frost cooled cake.
6. Place chocolate chips sporadically around the cake to simulate seeds. Refrigerate to set frosting. Remove from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving.
SPICED WATERMELON HONEY
3 pieces of whole dried gingerroot
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
2 whole cinnamon sticks
3 pounds watermelon rind
1 cup water
6 cups granulated white sugar
3 lemon slices
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Place ginger, cloves, and cinnamon sticks in a double layer of cheesecloth. Tie ends into a spice bag. Set aside.
2. Peel the dark green skin. Coarsely chop watermelon and place in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process until the watermelon reaches the consistency of coarse
3. Place processed watermelon and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer about 30 minutes, until watermelon is soft.
4. Add spice bag, sugar, lemon, and salt to the watermelon. Simmer and cook for an hour, .
5. Pour into hot sterilized jars.