The massive fire ignited at the Speedway Fuels in Winnipeg’s St. Boniface neighborhood has been officially declared to be an accidental case of spontaneous combustion of some oily substance. The fire started Oct. 1 around 5:30 p.m. CT, and quickly roared to an extent which enforced evacuation from more than 100 homes nearby the site as the heavy, black smoke got out of control.
According to the official report of the fire department, there were no injuries caused by the incident, however an approximate $15 million of damages were faced. The company manufactured fuel for the auto racing industry. The Office of the Fire Commissioner of Manitoba mentioned in the statement released on Friday that “It should be noted that spontaneous combustion of materials can occur when a material with a low ignition temperature begins to self-heat.” I was stated that “this self heating occurs through the decay of the material which generates heat to the point of combustion.”
According to the experts, there could be several causes of the spontaneous combustion; the most likely of all was the dangers of oily rags. Official declared that “the OFC will be working with the Fire Safety Inspection sub-committee to consider whether there should be any changes (or mandated time frames) for inspections of these, or similar types of industrial facilities.” The committee allegedly comprises of several representatives of different agencies, including fire departments and municipal officials. The statement read that “municipal involvement is critical because enforcement of the fire code, and responsibility for zoning rests with each municipality.”
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.