It is alleged that:
– from January to May 2010, the accused broke into 41 churches, in Toronto, seeking cash,
– considerable damage was caused in a number of the churches as the accused would break open numerous doors and windows to gain entry to offices, storage rooms and other areas of the churches.
James Briand, 46, of no fixed address, has been charged with:
1) 26 charges of Break and Enter and Commit Theft
2) 20 charges of Break and Enter with Intent to Commit Theft
3) three counts of Attempt Break and Enter
4) two counts of Mischief Under $5,000
5) Possession of Burglar’s Tools
The accused is scheduled to appear in court at Old City Hall, on Tuesday, May 18, 2010, room 114, at 9 a.m.