Jack Layton throws Hail Mary on human rights and disability rights for 4.4 million Canadians
NDP Leader Jack Layton has released asubstantive election platform for the much-anticipated 2011 Canadian Election.
Layton lays out a comprehensive program for women, people with disabilities, Aboriginal , multicultural and LGBT Canadians.
Where are the Liberals on human rights?
Stephen Harper has the RDSP, a savings plan for the upper middle class who have children with disabilities which isn’t much help.
Here’s the NDP platform for the disabled.
New Democrats believe in:
- The need to reduce poverty and the exclusion of people with disabilities
- Ensuring accessible services are available in all federal agencies
- Removing obstacles to employment and social integration and investing in appropriate material and social supports
- Simplifying access to disability benefits within the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and support organizations helping eligible people in their request or appeals; and
- Establishing tax fairness and revenue supports for people with disabilities.
- An immediate ratification and implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Ensuring a majority of people developing public policy relating to persons with disabilities be people living with disabilities
- Stopping discriminatory practices against persons with disabilities in immigration and refugee procedures; and
- The need to appoint a Canadian Disability Accommodation Commissioner to advise Parliament and the responsible minister on issues affecting persons with disabilities.
By Stephen Pate, NJN Network
Article viewed at: Oye! Times at www.oyetimes.com