This article was last updated on May 25, 2022
That shouldn’t have happened on the Lumia 950’s. The independent review in GSMArena said “The Lumia 950 XL posted great and very respectable 17 hours endurance on the 3G talk time test, doubling the Lumia 950 score.”
Then all of sudden by Friday December 18th the complaints were gone, silent, with some anecdotal comments the batteries were working better.
Coincidentally with the release of 10586.29 and .36 builds of Windows 10 Mobile the issue has disappeared.
As of Thursday, my Lumia 950 XL needed a mid-day charge. After a charge, it was too hot for a shirt pocket. Friday the phone got updated consecutively to 10586.29 then .36 and both issues are gone.
The 950 XL is now cool after a charge and yesterday it went 24 hours and didn’t dip below 55% battery.
Microsoft is non-committal on the issues resolved by .36 build –
This build continues to address feedback we’ve received from Windows Insiders as well as customers using our brand new Windows 10 phones like the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL. As with the previous release, this Cumulative Update continues to use the minor version for differentiating between each version – so this build will appear as 10586.36. Gabe Aul Windows Blog
The previous build .29 at least got a few details but nothing specific about the battery –
- You will see additional improvements in upgrade experience, including devices with limited free space, map rendering on update, and RCS enabled device settings.
- Improved application backwards compatibility for Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight applications.
- Edge performance and stability has been improved. Auto-completion has been updated to allow user to more easily edit the end of the URL in the address bar.
- Additional Bluetooth stability improvements.
- We have resolved issues on switching the active cellular connectivity profile on Dual SIM devices.
- Data profiles are now correctly restored in the out of box experience that would prevent some devices from sending or receiving MMS messages. Windows Experience
While some people, myself included, were having trouble with .29 build on the 950 XL, that seems to have vanished with .36.
Are you still having a problem with your battery after the 10586.36?
Obviously new devices with an unreleased operating system can have problems. Even the touted Apple 6s series has a battery life issue big enough that Apple rushed out an ugly battery extender called the iPhone 6s Smart Battery Case at $99.
Available from the Microsoft Store for $649 unlocked and AT&T for $19.97 on contract in the United States. In Canada only from the Microsoft Store. The Microsoft Store sells unlocked phones which only need a nano-SIM and your own carrier package. That’s how I roll and it saves me money. In the rest of the world, check your local Microsoft Store Worldwide or local carrier.
By Stephen Pate, NJN Network